Low Vision Project
The Low Vision Project is a joint endeavor of area Lions Clubs, the New Ulm Public Library, Minnesota State Services for the Blind (SSB) and the Riverbend Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB). This project assists people of all ages with vision loss who live in New Ulm and surrounding communities.
The Low Vision Project is designed to promote individual independence for those with low vision. Are you experiencing vision loss? Are you frustrated with the many choices of visual tools out there? There is help available for you to find vision aides that help you to be more independent in your everyday activities.
How to Schedule an Interview
The New Ulm Public Library, which provides space for the Low Vision Project, can put you in contact with Ms. Monica Buboltz, the Low Vision Project Coordinator. Ms. Buboltz will schedule a low vision assessment interview with you. Interviews are conducted by appointment only. This first interview will be both private and confidential. At this meeting you may sample a variety of low vision equipment from the projects "Low Vision Cabinet" in order to establish your needs.
After the Interview
After your interview, you may choose to do one or more of the following:
- Check out, on a trial basis, equipment to use in your home.
- Contact the Minnesota State Services for the Blind for further consultation and service.
- Receive assistance with contacting a vendor for an in-home trial of larger equipment with the option to purchase.
- If you qualify, you may receive financial assistance with the purchase and be paired with a volunteer advocate.
Vision Loss Equipment Available with the Library
- Merlin Color Magnifier - This is a closed circuit television which magnifies and displays print material. It can be used both to read print material and to write (2nd floor).
- Fully accessible library building.
- Delivery to homebound, nursing homes, and senior housing.
- Telephone and e-mail reference service.
- On-line library catalog and reference materials.
- Circulating materials - Include books on tape, large print books and descriptive videos available through the statewide collection list.
- Housing for the LOW VISION PROJECT equipment.
Low Vision Project Funding
- New Ulm Lion's Club
- Minnesota States Services for the Blind
- New Ulm Public Library
- Riverbend Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind