Veteran's Preference Information

The City of New Ulm awards preference to qualified veterans and spouses of deceased or disabled veterans, subject to the provisions of applicable Minnesota statute. Veteran's Preference Statutes provide a preference to U.S. citizens or resident aliens who have attained a passing score on the entrance exam and who have received an Honorable Discharge or Separation after serving more than 180 consecutive days in the military for purposes other than training. Veteran's preference may be used by the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran and by the spouse of a disabled veteran who, because of the disability, is unable to qualify.


Veteran's preference is awarded in the selection process if all of the following conditions are met:

  • The applicant has completed the veteran's preference section of the employment application
  • The applicant meets the minimum qualifications
  • The claim for preference is approved
  • Supporting documentation is provided
  • Veteran's Preference Questionnaire (PDF) is completed

Forms Required

Applicants claiming preference must provide the City with a copy of your form DD-214. Disabled veterans must also supply form FL-802 or an equivalent letter from a service retirement board. Spouses applying for preference points must supply their marriage certificate, the veteran's DD-214, and FL-802 or death certificate. Documentation must be received by the deadline date for the position in order to be considered.

Submit Documentation

Attach your documentation to your application or submit it to:
City of New Ulm
Human Resources Department
100 N Broadway
New Ulm, MN 56073
Fax: 507-359-9752


Thank you for your military service and for your interest in employment with the City of New Ulm. Please contact our office at 507-359-8235 or your local County Veterans' Service Office if you have any questions regarding veteran's preference.